Thursday, May 3, 2012

Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Color 445 On The Mauve Review and Swatches

I got this in another one of my lipstick hauls along with some other lipsticks as CVS was having a Buy 2 and get $5 extra bucks sale for Maybelline Color Sensational lipsticks. And also I had a $1 coupon from the Sunday papers, so I grabbed the opportunity. I love how CVS/Walgreens sales are mostly matching with the Sunday coupons. Its like a double deal. So the shade I got is 445 - On The Mauve and this is how these lipsticks look.

It doesn't come with a seal, just a bar code sticker on its side. While this is good, as we can swatch the shade at the store, I feel like it becomes a victim to some people who do not have the sense to swatch it gently, or worse swatch it on their lips. This is how it looks when opened.

That's the entire amount of lipstick you'll be getting. I loved the packaging. The transparent case, though doesn't really give us an idea of what the shade might be when looked from outside, it comes in the color of the shade family to which it belongs. This is a plum shade so the casing has a plum color. The rest of the tube is a simple metallic casing. Its easy to open and close and carry around in your clutch without fear of breaking it.

This is the actual shade up close.

As you can see, it is a nice mauve/plum shade with a slight hint of shimmer but not anything chunky. I thought the shade looked pretty and it looked even prettier when swatched on the hand.

The shade name and color shown on the bottom.

There are no ingredients shown anywhere. But I googled and found them here, if anyone's interested. Thankfully they do not have parabens. And this lipstick didn't feature in the top 400 list of lead offenders according to the FDA. Thank God! but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any lead, it just means it is not in the top 400. Also some other shades in this color range, Mauve Me, and Madison Mauve made it to the list, and I almost got Madison Mauve but in the last minute decided to switch it for another shade. You can find the top ten list of offenders here. L'Oreal, and Maybelline topped the list. Its always better to have a checklist before buying lipsticks. These lipsticks come in more than 60 shades but my CVS didn't have all of them and the ones it had, I was not really that impressed with the color range or the pigmentation.

My nude lips after I exfoliated
 
The lipstick on me in day/natural light
The lipstick on me in night light

This is what Maybelline claims: from their website maybelline.com
Fall in love with color, all over again:
 • Crisper color from pure pigments
 • Creamier feel from nourishing honey nectar
 • Lipcolor so rich, so stunning…it’s sensational



Well, I was not impressed. The pigmentation is okay but not the best I've ever used. It glides on smoothly and application felt good but it didn't last long, maybe for 3 hours without eating but less than that if you eat in between. After that it dries out the lips and makes them chappy. It felt like I applied eyeshadow on my lips instead of lipstick after the creaminess fades off. The coverage was not bad and it didn't feather or bleed. It didn't settle into lines/creases. But it definitely didn't offer rich color,  at least not this shade, and I applied the lipstick generously on my lips. One swipe didn't do any good. The shade also looks more shimmery on lips than it did on hand but not insane shimmery.

Plum shades are categorized at Fall/Winter shades but I wear them during summers as well. This shade is good for day and night. I would recommend this to anyone who likes plum shades, has less pigmented lips, does not mind slight shimmer, and doing touch ups all through the day. I'm never repurchasing it. This is my first Maybelline lipstick but I should have stuck to good ole Revlon. I've seen some clearance stickers on them in CVS and heard that they will not be restocking on them so if you like these lipsticks, better get them fast.

One more thing is Maybelline tests on animals. So if you're looking for something vegan, this is not it. The lipstick costs $8.49 for 0.15 oz (4.2 gm) at CVS but I got it in a sale so its some consolation, even then, I felt like the price was too much for this lipstick.

Hope the review helps you to decide whether to buy or not.

Overall Rating: B-

Keep Smiling :)
xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Very useful review! The CVS I go to has the barcode sticker in such a way that you cannot open the lipstick without tearing it...the downside though is that I have no idea what the shade looks like. I so wish they would start keeping testers for all the shades. I am sure they sell enough to spare 1 of each shade to be kept aside as a tester!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! that's a good idea, sadly drugstore never comes with testers, at least not any that I've seen.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by honey :) Let me know what you think about this post or my blog. I'd love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...